Winters mean freezing breeze and chills in most parts of India, but there are some places which take a snowy avatar and turn into miles of visual delight. While staying indoors tucked into warm blankets is practical, exploring such places is most fun during the cold season’s full glow of snow.
If you want to catch snowfall in the beginning of the new year, then you really can’t afford to miss these destinations.
Sonamarg : If there is a paradise full of snow in India, it is here, it is here, it is here!
Sonmarg is one of those few hill stations in India, where snow can be witnessed till April. The beautiful town looks breathtaking covered in a snow blanket. Sceneries are awe-inspiring if you take the road route to Sonamarg, which encompasses slopes, valleys, meadows and more.
With a deep in temperature, the place comes alive like a dreamland. The high altitude that keeps the snow from melting for longest of time, this hill destination lets the snow lovers enjoy an extended period of winter in India.
- Getting There – Srinagar is the closest air junction from Gulmarg, which is connected to all major airports and flights. Taxis are available from here to Sonmarg on a daily basis.It is inevitable to encounter road clocks and landslides during the heavy snow season and therefore it is advised to check the weather report prior planning a trip to Sonmarg.
- Season – November to April
Gangtok – The ultimate experience for snow lovers in India!
Nestled near the buzzing tourist spot, Gangtok, is this beautiful recluse Katao. With plenty of snowfall during winters, you can get an unconventional view of one of the highest snow-clad mountains and vast cover of snow here. The scenery here is wonderful, as one can get a stunning view of the mountains. Winters here witness ample amount of snowfall and the entire place is transformed into a snowy paradise.
- Getting There – From Bagdogra airport, you can book a cab to reach Gangtok.
- Season – December to April
Gulmarg – Skiing and Snowboarding in an infinitely picturesque snow place in India!
One of the standout destinations of Jammu and Kashmir, Gulmarg is a popular one with tourists who want to see staggering views of snow-carpeted hills around. Considered ‘The Heartland of Winter Sports in India’, Gulmarg offers skiing, snowboarding and Gondola rides in addition to picturesque views and snowy peaks during winters.
- Getting There – Srinagar is the closest air junction from Gulmarg. From here, cabs are available to reach the base, Tangmarg
- Season – December to early March
Auli – Bet, you’ve never heard of this one!
If you like to give your skiing skills a test or are a freaking skiing beginner then “Auli” is an ultimate stopover. This is one of the best places in India to see snow. “Auli” is 10 hours drive from “Rishikesh:” and is well connected to roads. Initially, it wasn’t as famous as it is now, considered to be just a small offbeat hill station.
- Getting There – The nearest airport to Auli is Dehradun. From Dehradun, it is most convenient to travel by taxi or catch a bus to Auli. The bus takes you to Joshimath only, from Joshimath you are required to reach Auli by ropeway or by road. Travelling by ropeway is time-saving and more exciting.
- Season – January to March
Patnitop – A winter wonderland in India!
Located in Jammu and Kashmir, Patnitop is a hill resort nestled in the Shiwalik range of the Himalayas. During winters, it transforms itself into one of the most stunning snow-clad towns in India. This paragliding destination only becomes better with the large white expanses of snow in the winter season, when people indulge in snowboarding and skiing activities.
- Getting There –The nearest civil airport is at Jammu. The distance between Jammu airport and Patnitop is around 110 km and it takes around 4 hrs to cover the distance by road.
- Season – December to early March
Kufri – The picture-perfect hill station worthy to be on a postcard
A popular holiday destination situated in Himachal Pradesh, the city looks simply gorgeous when it snows here. This little quaint yet captivating region of Himachal Pradesh transforms into a heaven during winters. The white snow spread all over gives a very refreshing and chilly look.
- Getting There – Shimla is the nearest airport at a distance of 20 km. Located 13 km from Shimla, Kufri is well connected to other popular destinations by every mode of transportation.
- Season – April to June
Khajjiar – The quaint hill-station in the lap of Himachal Pradesh
Doesn’t it seem like a scene from The Chronicles of Narnia? Adorned with high lampposts, mighty trees, and quaint passages. Khajjiar is undoubtedly a dream destination to experience snowfall in India.
- Getting There – Khajjiar does not have any airport. The nearest airport is in Dharamshala called the Gaggal airport, at a distance of about 120 km. Taxis and buses are easily available from the airport to Khajjiar.
- Season – November to February
Pahalgam –The essentials
Perched at a height of 8,957 ft above the sea level, Pahalgam is one of the pristine snow beauties in the country. This place is famous for its alluring natural surroundings, which include pine and deodar forests and the serene Chenab River. This little hamlet at the foot of the Kashmir Valley is considered as one of the most peaceful snow places in India. But, the real magic of Pahalgam lies within its quiet long treks that provide you a tranquil snowy escape away from the madness of mainland.
- Getting There – Pahalgam does not have an airport. Nearest airport is Srinagar Airport.
- Season – October to February